MELINA SANCHEZ JOINS THE AU LIBRARIES TEAM

Alfred University Libraries welcomes Melina Sanchez as the Evening Reference Assistant in Scholes Library. As an AU Alum and a former Library Student Assistant herself, Melina is very familiar with the academic needs of college students. In the role of Evening Reference Assistant, she is responsible for library services, assisting students with their research questions and facilitating the use of Scholes Library as well as acting as a supervisor and job mentor to the student employees working evening shifts. Melina brings a strong commitment to customer service and student development to the role.

Q&A with Melina

Melina Sanchez

What was your background before Alfred University?  

I graduated from Alfred University in May 2019 with a Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice and a minor in Writing. During my sophomore year, I began my journey as a student worker at Herrick Library and then was promoted as a student supervisor during my Senior Year. Currently, I work in the Social Work arena and as the Evening Reference Assistant in Scholes Library

What interests you about your current position?    

What interests me about my current position is being able to work with college students and help them grow in their college journey. Also, being a resource to the college campus and community.  

Do you have any advice for current Alfred University students? 

Don’t underestimate the seasons you go through; they prepare you for what’s ahead and always enjoy a good laugh.  

What do you like to do for fun outside of work?    

Outside of work I enjoy writing, listening to music, and spending time with family and friends.  

What is something new you would like to learn?    

I would like to learn gardening and baking.  

What do you appreciate about the Alfred campus and community? 

I appreciate how welcoming the Alfred community and campus are and the different opportunities the town provides for individuals to grow.  

Please join the Libraries in welcoming Melina!