The Alfred University Libraries seek a forward-thinking and collaborative Public Services Librarian to join a highly engaged team. We are looking for someone with a strong focus on customer service and a commitment to incorporating diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility practices, particularly anti-racism and anti-oppression, into their librarianship. This position provides opportunities to mentor undergraduate students through our student assistant program and an opportunity to support the campus community through library services.
The Public Services Librarian is a 10-month, tenure-track faculty position reporting to the Dean of Libraries. This librarian will provide leadership, vision, and oversight for Public Services at two campus library locations, Herrick Memorial Library and Samuel R. Scholes Library. This librarian will be responsible for planning and managing all public facing operations including circulation, reserves, service desk operations, and reference and is responsible for developing and encouraging a positive, engaging, and user-centered approach. This librarian will lead the Alfred University Libraries Public Services Team, consisting of staff from the two libraries and 60+ library student assistants. This position also works with the Director of Libraries to lead Library outreach, events, and user experience efforts, as well as collecting and reporting library usage statistics. This position will be assigned subject-based liaison areas according to interest and/or expertise, and will participate in reference, instruction, and the University Libraries’ Personal Librarian Program.
- A Master’s degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or equivalent international Master’s degree in Library Science/Information Studies.
- Successful supervisory experience.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts, particularly anti-racism and anti-oppression, in libraries and higher education.
- Experience working in Circulation, Public Services, or Reference Services in an academic library.
- Strong customer service orientation, excellent oral and written communication, and outstanding supervisory skills.
- Ability to effectively manage staff across two locations.
- Experience using Alma/Primo and Springshare software.
- Provide leadership, vision, and oversight of Library Public Services, developing and encouraging a positive, engaging, and user-centered approach, with a strong focus on customer service, accessibility, equity, and inclusion.
- Guide the AU Libraries Public Services Team with a hands-on relational approach, overseeing, coordinating, developing, supervising, implementing, and evaluating circulation, service desks, course reserves, stacks maintenance, and the fulfillment components of the Library Services Platform (Alma).
- Lead the provision of “concierge” services to all patrons.
- Actively partner on or lead Outreach, Events, and User Experience efforts, in collaboration with the Director, including promotional materials, the blog, relevant aspects of the websites, and social media tools.
- Hire, supervise, train, develop, and evaluate Public Services Coordinators and other staff members, in collaboration with Library Administrative team.
- Lead Public Services Coordinators in hiring, scheduling, training, and supervising approximately 65 student workers across two libraries.
- Guide the ongoing improvement of the Public Services Student Library Assistant role, including the development and assessment of learning outcomes, with an eye towards mentoring for success and transferrable job skills.
- Ensure buildings are staffed for 90+hours a week. Work collaboratively with the Director to determine library hours and schedules. Assist the Public Services Coordinators in scheduling of services points.
- Collaborate with the Director to ensure that library spaces meet patron needs by being clean, safe, inviting, accessible, and functional. Work together to resolve all building and maintenance issues.
- Manage the development and updating of Public Services Team policies, procedures, and manuals.
- Oversee gathering, reporting, and analysis of Public Services statistics and other data.
- Work with the Systems Team to ensure efficient function of public computers, copiers, scanners, and printers. Work collaboratively to resolve system-wide and ongoing problems and to plan for future equipment needs.
- Direct Public Services Coordinators in the financial transactions of billings for lost or damaged library materials.
- In partnership with the Director, coordinate guides, signage, technical assistance, and other front-line patron support.
- Liaise with other Library Teams on relevant workflows and tasks.
- Guide strategic vision for reference services, ensuring Libraries’ research assistance remains central, innovative, and in tune with ever-evolving patron needs.
- Coordinate the scheduling of librarians and part-time assistants at the reference desk and for on-call and virtual reference services (LibChat).
- Participate in virtual and in-person reference services, including evenings and weekends (as needed).
- Oversee gathering of reference statistics via LibInsight.
- Lead reference assessment and reporting as a member of the AU Libraries Assessment Working Group.
- Engage in professional development, scholarship and service, in accordance with University standards for promotion and tenure.
- Maintain active involvement in the library profession and contribute to the advancement of information science and practice through scholarly work.
- Serve on the Libraries’ Information Literacy Team, and design, teach, and assess course integrated information literacy instruction sessions.
- Lead as liaison to assigned content area(s), based on interest and/or expertise, providing research assistance and outreach.
- Participate in AU Libraries’ Personal Librarian program.
- Serve on the Libraries’ Scholarly Communication Team.
- Serve on Library, College, and University committees.
- Assist in the formulation of Library policies, and contribute to the development of Library services responsive to the needs of the campus curriculum and users.
- Actively participate in library planning initiatives.
- This position will involve travel for professional development and training.
- Commitment to support the Libraries’ values of free and open pursuit of knowledge; support for intellectual and cultural diversity; innovation, collaboration, and creativity; excellent service; and effective communication.
- Safety: Participate in safety training and comply with safety rules, regulations, and protocols.
- Perform additional duties and assist with special projects as assigned.
Founded in 1836, and nestled between the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains and the Finger Lakes wine region in western New York State, Alfred University (alfred.edu) is a small comprehensive private university. It is situated on a sprawling 232-acre campus where nearly 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students reside in a vibrant, student-centered learning community. Outdoor recreational opportunities are abundant at our campus location, while our New York City area satellite instructional locations keep Alfred connected with an urban experience.
Alfred University houses the New York State College of Ceramics, a Statutory College of the State of New York, creating a unique public-private partnership. One result of this distinctive arrangement is that Alfred’s students, faculty, and staff are served by two libraries: The Samuel R. Scholes Library, which supports the School of Engineering and the School of Art and Design, and Herrick Memorial Library, which supports the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, and the School of Graduate and Continuing Studies/AUNY (External Programs).
Review of candidates will begin on May 1, 2023 and continue until the position is filled.
For further information regarding this position, contact the search committee co-chairs Maria Planansky email@example.com and Mechele Romanchock firstname.lastname@example.org.
A complete application will include:
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter outlining how your qualifications and experience will prepare you for success in this position
- A brief statement (up to one page) describing your leadership philosophy and how you creatively solve service challenges.
- Contact information for three professional references (address, phone number, and email). References will only be contacted at the finalist stage.
To apply: visit: AU Jobs: Public Services Librarian
Founded in 1836 and nestled between the foothills of the Allegheny Mountains and the Finger Lakes wine region of western New York State, Alfred University (alfred.edu) is a small comprehensive private university. The second oldest co-educational college in the United States the campus is situated on 232 beautiful, hilly and wooded acres where nearly 2,000 undergraduate, graduate and doctoral students reside in a vibrant, student-centered learning community.
Alfred University is also home to the New York State College of Ceramics, a Statutory College of the State of New York, creating a unique public-private partnership. One result of this distinctive arrangement is that Alfred’s students, faculty, and staff are served by two libraries: The Samuel R. Scholes Library, which supports the School of Engineering and the School of Art and Design, and Herrick Memorial Library, which supports the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, and the School of Graduate and Continuing Studies/AUNY (External Programs).
Alfred University actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee, student or applicant because of race, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, physical or mental disability, religion, ancestry or national origin, marital status, genetic information, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status, criminal conviction status, political affiliation or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Protected veterans, minorities and women are encouraged to apply.