Rey Jeong, February 21, 2022

Rey Jeong is a social practice artist and an activist who vocalizes racial, gender and social justice through creative practices. As a member of the diaspora, first generation immigrants, and women of color, Rey’s work outlines interdisciplinary methods across languages, visual arts, and the Critical Race Theory for making liminal spaces to observe the intersections between race, gender, and storytelling. Rey earned her MFA at the University of Michigan and completed her BFA in animation at Sejong University in Seoul. Now, she is a Professor of Practice and IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access) Generator at the School of Art and Design and Performing Art Division at Alfred University.

Throughout her residency, Rey, experimented with different types of printmaking techniques for a project entitled “Periphery Vision”.Β The project consisted of the following methods of print: woodcut, screen-print, mono-print and photogravure. Rey’s work featured five faculty of color’s portraits and words that they want to shout to the world.

I’m often inspired by veiled injustice, such as internalized racism or patriarchy in my surroundings.

π˜—π˜¦π˜³π˜ͺ𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘝π˜ͺ𝘴π˜ͺ𝘰𝘯 ²⁰²²
I curated a special show of seven faculty members who are all people of color at IDEA Lab @idea_lab_alfred in Alfred.

π˜—π˜¦π˜³π˜ͺ𝘱𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘝π˜ͺ𝘴π˜ͺ𝘰𝘯 show encompassed contemporary painting, sculpture, printmaking, ceramic, social practice and Chinese traditional music. Gathering all BIPOC faculty to one place through art is itself a part of my practice.

In the show, I exhibited printmaking work during the IEA Institute for Electronic Arts residency @alfred_iea. I photographed faculty of color, including myself, and produced six different prints. Photo credit for my portrait Vivian Wang @caowang7720 (Rey Jeong)

The bulk of her time was spent exploring the offset press for printing production of her laser-etched woodcuts, produced via the IEA’s and Expanded Media’s Epilog Fusion Pro Co2 Laser Engraver.

Rey also explored four-color mono-printing with the assistance of Professor of Print Xiaowen Chen.

"Joann Quinones", mono-print on Rives BFK White.
"Joann Quinones", afterimage mono-print on Rives BFK White.