During November 2 – 6 the Institute of Electronic Arts welcomed Yesuk Seo as part of of Visual Arts program.

“My project was based on “Invisible memories of moire surface” through printmaking on found objects with moire patterns. I did experiments with those characteristic surfaces from various types of materials that could be in-between 2-Dimensional and 3-Dimensional works through print media. I could present specific themes on the surfaces from the objects, such as, honeycomb fire bricks with images from gentrified landscapes on birds-eye view, translucent fabrics with the negative film roll that was stored a process of osmosis experiment, and green [book boards] with traces of neon signs. They related to the subject; memories of the spaces with light. In particular, visiting at the Alfred Univ.’s neon shop in 2012 was one of unforgettable recollections with friends and Dan Buckingham. Dan often referred to a few sentences related to neon signs. One of his sayings, “Keep it bright.” kept reminding me during the pandemic. Visiting here again in 2020 was also another special trip during this time. I took photographs of current students’ bending tube glasses. I engraved repetitive neon signs’ burning marks on my works by using a laser cutter and ghost light images were shown by using dye sublimation print with heat press.” Yesuk Seo

“Through using the Expanded Media laser cutter, dye sublimation transfer print & heat press, silkscreen printing and so on, I explored new techniques in my works. I was eager to find the best results by using print media on found objects and I could do experiments by using high-quality equipment. The advantages of school facilities allowed her to challenge new approaches.” – Yesuk Seo

Yesuk Seo(b. 1988; works in New York) is an inter-disciplinary artist who deals with printmaking and installation. The moiré pattern from screen materials allows her to rethink illusions of visual space and time. She received her MFA(Sculpture 16’) at Pratt Institute and BFA(Fine Arts 14’) at School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Her works have been included in several selected exhibitions at IPCNY, Lower East Side Printshop, efa Project Space, BRIC, Boiler/Pierogi, and the Print Center. She participated in Keyholder Residency(LESP), Sculpture Space, Inc., and the Studios@MASSMoCA. She received Bronx Museum AIM fellowship in 2020.

Yesuk Seo working.
“Keep It Bright” Photopolymer Etching
“Keep It Bright” Photopolymer Etching
“Telle” Screen-print
Dye Sublimation Transfer
Dye Sublimation onto Honey Comb Brick
Dye Sublimation onto Honey Comb Brick