Fiat a Safe & Successful Home Fall Stretch
With the end of the Fall 2020 semester approaching, we have made plans for how we will proceed with moving students out of their residence halls, and how we will welcome them back for the Spring 2021 term.
Our experiences over the last nine months have helped us create a safe and effective plan for students leaving campus by November 25 and returning in January. Following is the plan Alfred University has adopted for both:
- All students will be required to depart their residence halls and leave campus within 24 hours of completing their last final exam, or by 6:00 p.m. Wednesday, November 25, whichever comes first. Students who need to stay later than Wednesday, November 25 or remain on campus over break, will need to submit an appeal to the Office of Residence Life.
- To appeal, students must complete this form and submit it by Monday, November 9. A committee will review the appeal with decisions provided no later than Wednesday, November 11.
- Students will be permitted to leave their belongings in their rooms over the break between semesters.
- All international students and out-of-state students will return to campus on January 8 or 9. Those students will be required to quarantine for 14 days, and may choose to do so either on campus or elsewhere in New York State.
- All other students from New York State will return on January 19 or 20.
- Residence Life student staff will return to campus by mid-January and will be contacted directly by the Office of Residence Life.
- Athletes will return based on their residency status: in-state, out-of-state, or international.
- Students will use the Sign Up Genius link to select a window of time during their assigned move-in dates to move in to their residence halls. A link to Sign Up Genius will be emailed to students before the Thanksgiving break.
- All returning students will be required to participate in pooled sample saliva testing for COVID. Testing will be conducted when students arrive on campus. Students will be asked to go into precautionary quarantine with more details to come in mid-December.
Best wishes to all of you for the remainder of this Fall semester.
Fiat a safe and successful home Fall stretch!
P.S.: With Halloween this weekend, please continue your vigilance regarding masking, social distancing, and hand washing. The foregoing plans on moving out and in are contingent on our being able to keep COVID in check on our campus. Should the prevalence of COVID on our campus change over the next few weeks, we will have to alter our plans regarding our students not having to move out their belongings between semesters So, as based on the advice of a peer at another university who has managed to keep COVID in check to date, when you interact with others, behave as though everyone you interact with is contagious for COVID. It’s the best prescription for health and safety. Happy Halloween!