Welcome from Thomas Orrange, Dean for Student Experience

Dear families,

Alfred University is a wonderful and magical place. As I head into my second semester here, I’m enjoying the beauty of fresh fallen snow and icy temperatures, knowing that over the course of the semester, we will transition to the rebirth of spring. The break between semesters has been a good time to reflect on my first semester here. 

I’ve learned that one of the great positives of working at Alfred University is our strong sense of community. The University is committed to creating a safe, inclusive learning community for all our students, faculty and staff. I am reminded of how important the commitment each of us makes to building a truly supportive, inclusive, and safe environment that is dedicated to learning. 

The philosophers of the Enlightenment suggested that the goal of a safe, inclusive community could only be achieved through individual sacrifice for the common good, a tacit social contract that we all agree to. Now more than ever, we should remind ourselves of these Enlightenment ideals and work towards the idea of a common good, by making choices that reflect our dedication to the success of our Alfred University community. 

We are dedicated to making Alfred University a safe place for all to engage in their academic and social pursuits. As we consider what truly makes our community different from other places, I like to think that our intentional cultivation of intersections is one of the key factors. It is at the intersections where new and exciting ideas come from. It is through these intersections and through conversations with others where we truly learn what it means to be diverse and inclusive, where we learn from, and because of, our differences. To make it possible to have a learning community where intersections play such an important role, we need to feel safe and supported, and to trust one another. We need to understand that the networks we build will help us succeed far beyond what we can do as individuals. We each need to commit to supporting each other to grow and develop.

I close with the words from our Student Code of Conduct:

We, the students of Alfred University, will maintain an academic and social environment which is distinguished by Honesty, Integrity, Understanding and Respect. Every student is expected to uphold these ideals and confront any student who does not. Keeping these ideals in mind, we, the students aspire to live, interact and learn from one another in ways that ensure both personal freedom and community standards.

I believe that by living up to these ideals, we can all be successful in the coming semester and beyond.

Fiat Lux,

Thomas Orrange

Dean for Student Experience